CATS AND YARN
A crocheting friend of mine, (only just yesterday – the truth!), took her sick cat to the vet. The diagnosis: YARN the cat had swallowed which caused the cat multiple health problems. This begs the comment …
What do we often see in yarn ‘advertisements’ but the quintessential photo of the oh-so-cute kitten and ball of yarn; this does not address reality. Cats and yarn do not belong together. Obviously if one is unable refrain from letting their precious felines play with it, it should be closely monitored. It also gets caught in their teeth. I have cats and I do not let them touch the yarn. I love them and don’t want to take them to the vet for something that could have been easily prevented.
NEEDLES/HOOKS AND YARN
Then that also reminds me of another quintessential photo that we see more often than not when knitting needles or crochet hooks are shown with yarn/wool. They are usually shown impaling a ball of yarn; it makes for an artistic graphic but, again, does not address reality. This is one of the worst things in the world you could do to yarn/wool; it will tear and/or split the yarn. Yes, sometimes this is relatively fixable, but the bottom line is that needles do not belong stuck in a ball of yarn. If you are afraid you will lose a needle when you need to leave your work, it is easy enough to find another method of storing work-in-process.
I would like to call these my ‘opinions’, but I think, perhaps, these are realities.