Leona Flower 4-ply knitting worsted, I-9 crochet hook
1) the 1st st of the ch4 should serve as a slip knot whereby as the sts are loaded the 1st is increasing in size to accommodate multiple sts being worked into it (how to make that happen: after making the slip knot for the beg ch st, be sure that the short end is to the left; that is, if the chain st is laying flat and untwisted, the short end will be coming through the slip down and to the left. Insert hk in ch and begin sts).
2) Make sure to maintain consistent height of stitches in working multiple double crochets into one st.
3) ch3 or ch4 counts as a dc throughout.
1) Leaving about a 10” tail (for weaving in later w/yarn needle), ch 4 (counts as dc), 7 dc in 1st ch; pull ctr tight to draw up a circle of double crochets; sl st in top of ch4. Manipulate the piece and spread sts evenly for a nice, ROUND, circle. Sl st in sp before next dc.
2) Ch 3, 2 dc in same sp, *3 dc in next sp, rep * around; join w/sl st in top ch of beg ch 3 (24dc).
3) remove lp fr hk, insert hk fr back thru back lp of top next dc and pull lp to back of wk; ch 3, sk 2dc after the beg ch3 of rnd 2, *bk post sl st around next dc (to wk bk post sl st: insert hk fr back around dc,yo, pull thru lp on hk), ch3, sk 2 dc, rep fr * around, working last sl st in base of 1st ch3 (8 lps).
4) *5 dc in next ch 3 sp, sl st into sl st (bet petals) from previous rnd, rep fr * around; join w/sl st in sl st. (BE SURE sl sts are MADE INTO sl sts fr last rnd).
5) ch 4, working fr behind petals, sl st in next sl st thru both lps, rep fr * around; ending sl st in 1st sl st.
6) *7 dc in ch 4 sp, sl st into next sl st thru both lps, rep fr * around, ending sl st in 1st sl st.
HOW-TOS – Seamless Join Finish at End of Round
Use this joining method at the end of a rnd of crochet sts for a seamless join. When the last st of the rnd is worked, cut yarn leaving a 6” tail. Pull thru lp on hk maintaining st tension. Thread yarn needle; insert needle thru/under both lps of 1st st of rnd. Insert needle into ctr of last st of rnd thru to the wrong side; do not twist st; weave in tail.
Optional Flower Edge in Contrasting Color (worked tbl throughout) Rnd 1: (rs) w/contrasting color beg w/outside edge of last worked rnd, sl st in 1st dc left of a sl st, *sl st in dcs up to next sl st; wk fr post hdc (to wk: fr post hdc: yo, insert hk in right sp made under sets of dcs, under sl sts and up thru next sp under dcs, yo/pull thru 3lps on hk), sk sl st, rep * around, ending w/fr post hdc, join to 1st sl st of rnd.
Rnd 2: Rep edge on rnd 4.
Rnd 3: Rep edge on rnd 2, working fr post dc (not hdc) around ea dc (fr rnd 1), below a sl st (inserting hk around dcs in rnd 1; [8 fr post dcs]).
Ctr: w/yellow, wk top-ch around, bringing sl st lp up thru sps between ea dc post (8sl sts).
How to top-ch st: Make 1 beg ch st. Remove lp from hk; yarn feeds from ws. Insert hk from rs to ws wherever the top-ch st should begin in a sp bet 2 sts and pull up the 1st ch st from ws; cont as est.
Weave in ends.